Project Minima:

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ode To A Grecian Slip

Fashion by Madeleine Vionnet
I started (and finished!) a Grecian goddess-type slip yesterday.  It just sort of came into being as I was working on it.

I wanted a sheer slip to wear with that dark navy shift that I made previously - and found a scrap of black nylon/ chiffon in my bin.

I took the piece and sewed it down the side so that I ended up with one long tube shape with the selvedges at the top and bottom.

At that point it seemed easier to just make a

full slip rather than a half one, so on I went.  I left a slit opening at the bottom back and hemmed the seam edges I just made because the material ravels like crazy, plus its see-thru.  I had just enough wide black elastic stretch lace and used that to gather the waistline.  Then I added two lace shoulder straps to the bodice and just let it drape, Grecian-style.  I had extra black lace leftover where I attached it at the front bodice, so I twisted it around to create a tiny rose at each strap and hand sewed it in place.  That's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment