Project Minima:

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Housedresses Are Us

~ Tablecloth Dress #3 ~

 This one took forevah.  Truly.  


with 2 donated tablecloths and 1 stash bit of fabric

 There are thousands (and I mean that literally) of appliques covering holes and staining on these beauties.


sorry for the blurrrrr, not so good at back shots...

And yes that is a donkey on my back.


and that's not all...

Here's a view of those hot red and orange shoes from ebay:

yeah, baby


Speaking of ebay, I found the same exact tablecloth there for $150!!!!!  Sure that one was in pristine condition, but come on.  It's the one I'm using for the bodice and sleeves with the farmer, his wife (?), donkey, and happy veggies.

Those two characters are also peaking out of my big ole pockets.

Then there's behind-the-scenes shots from the production of Tablecloth Dress #3:

Skirt section laid out with potential appliques-in-waiting

and the floor next to it full of itty-bitty scraps

appliques pinned on awaiting stitching
  
more and more
 
with tinier and tinier pieces
 
Yes, you can even view the dress in more detail (and all some of my applique sewing) on my Clothes for Summer page. Sew, my fourth year of Project Minima begins.  Such an appropriate dress for the occasion, don't you think?  And for Patti's Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style, for sure.  Join us, won't you?

p.s.  I've already finished 2 more!
p.p.s.  My XOXO shoes (really, that's the brand name) are now joining the party at Sheila's Shoe Shine.  Have a look-see at all the pretty little things.


18 comments:

  1. Oh I am so going to borrow these tips for re-surfacing a tablecloth/dress, Pao. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, love those cool shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it. It just took me a month I think. Working every day. Or maybe it just seemed that long... Thank goodness I could show it off at your Visible Monday, Patti.

      Delete
  2. Loved the shoes, loved the dress, loved the concept. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is just incredible! I love those old tablecloths, and using them to make a tunic dress is a fabulous idea. The pockets, the appliques, the smiling vegetables - it's priceless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet it's priceless. When I ran out of donated tablecloths to use, I looked around at thrift stores and ebay. I simply couldn't believe how much they were asking - even for ones with holes and stains!

      Delete
  4. Ok this is my favorite one yet! The fabric you chose to pair with that fun tablecloth is just wonderful. And you have the BEST shoes!!!!!!!!

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I say about each one as it comes along. I swear, I hemmed and hawed forever about what to use for that middle panel. Yea for shoes!

      Delete
  5. The artfulness of your appliqués! No just plonking any old thing down for you! And I agree with Dressup, you have the Best shoes! And not all high heeled. We need more funky flat role models like you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No high heels for me, thank you very much. Platforms, fine. But nothing that makes me totter on my tippy toes. And there's plenty else out there to choose from that are comfy and cool, in my opinion.

      Delete
  6. I don't have a favourite of your tablecloth dresses, they are all fantastic. The appliques alone are a wonder to behold. You really must be such a patient person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no need for a hierarchy, they all get along fabulously knowing each one is unique in its own way.
      I think obsessive might be the appropriate term here....

      Delete
  7. Oh my! Each dress is more fabu than the last one! Can't wait to see the next...and the next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will! You know how it is when you get on a roll...

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love this one. Fabulous. They just get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think I'd get better and better at sewing them, but there's always something that happens somewhere along the line...and it's okay. There's always the adventures of piecing when there's just not enough tablecloth to go around.

      Delete
  9. Wow. OH Wow. Wonderful in the most literal sense of the word! A lot of work, but don't you love the process? I know my grandmother had that very cloth with the donkey and cart! The eBay price only increases the value of your piece, I'd think. House-dress, no. NOT!
    I get the retro reference, but I really can see these at the snazziest brunch or luncheon, but you know I'd wear them with red ankle strap stilettos. Your shoes are much better ... you look too fabulous to keep these pieces in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I do wear them around the house because they're so fun and comfortable, I also wear them wherever I want. Like to teach, or to the cafe, or out to dinner, or to my creativity group, or to the fabric store, or walking about...

      I can see you in red ankle strap stilettos and any of these housedresses. Maybe an apron too. woo-hoo.

      Delete